Thursday, October 15, 2015

Kitty Crush

One of the first things most people say to me when we discuss volunteering at an animal shelter is that they don't think they could do it without wanting to take them all home.

I don't. Or...I do. I mean, I don't do it without wanting to take them home. I do want to take them home. Not all of them all of the time, but I get what I call 'kitty crushes' on a regular basis.

There will be a cat that I feel an instant connection with and it hurts my heart to go home at the end of the night and not take them with me. Each week that they are there when I come in, it gets harder and harder not to bring them home.

My first kitty crush was Otterpop. He was a spunky little guy and, being the first, the most difficult to resist.


It was bittersweet when Otterpop was adopted. But it wasn't long before I found another cat to fall for. Who got adopted. And so on.

I have had many, many crushes in the year we've been volunteering for the shelter. It has gotten easier to resist the urge to adopt them all because I know they will find great homes and I know there will be another kitty to crush on each time. But it's still a bit painful to walk away from their kennels or colony rooms each week.

Right now, my toughest kitty to resist is Flower. She's playful and sweet, like you'd expect any 6-month-old kitten to be, but she also has the most adorably rusty meow. She talks to you and you expect to look over and see this beat up old Tom...and it's this adorable girl instead.

a black and white kitten wearing a pink collar and wrapped in a fluffy white blanket

So yeah. I mean, could you leave that face behind week after week? I WANTS HER!

Not helping the cause are my two, slightly less strong crushes in the colony rooms.

a medium-haired black and white cat staring into the cameraa short-haired black and white cat sitting on a kuranda

Yeah...I might have a thing for black and white cats, huh? Fancy is kind of shy, but she's tiny and cuddly and crawled into my lap the first day I met her. *love*

Jack is about the polar opposite, personality-wise. He's outgoing and friendly and solicits attention from everyone who walks into the room.

So yeah...it's tough. But then I come home and give Mike Wazowski his fluids or his pills. Or I see that we're out of cat or dog food. Or it's time for another dose of Bravecto. And I remember that in addition to being loving companions, pets are a long-term financial commitment. And I have four already, so adding another wouldn't be responsible.

But...but...but....I WANTS THEM!

I know! You can adopt them and save me from my inner turmoil...at least until the next time I walk into the building.