Friday, May 27, 2016

Fuzzy Face

I just wanted to share how much I love my Cosmo girl.

a brown dog's face looking at the camera


To be honest, my first reaction when we met her was "OMG that's an ugly dog!"

a brown dog peeking her face through a blue & yellow tent entranceI don't see it now. All I can see is the adorable fuzzy face I fell in love with. But she didn't make a good first impression on us.

We responded to an ad on freecycle. Usually animals would go super quickly, but the family had posted her three times. This was their last shot - they were moving and couldn't take her, so the next stop would be a shelter. Of course I couldn't resist. So we agreed to meet her.

When the family arrived to see how Cosmo did with us and our other dog, they realized this wasn't their first visit to my house. About a month before, we had advertised some fill dirt. They had picked some up to fill in the holes their dog had dug in the yard. This dog. Ruh roh.

a brown dog sprawled on a bed

I'm so glad we didn't let her appearance and known hole-digging nature deter us. She is such an important part of our family and I don't really remember life without her. Cozzi was great with my kid from day one. He was just under three when we took her in and she was the perfect dog to have as a small child's companion. She was playful but never rough, and she truly bonded with him. Quite a change from our other dog, who growled whenever the kid entered the room.

a child and brown dog on brightly colored playground equipment

Even as she has gotten older, Cosmutt hasn't lost her sweet nature. She's a bit less patient with other dogs, but she's still as loving as ever with us. And everyone loves her Cosmohawk.

a brown dog looking to the left of the camera

She's ten now, so she has slowed a bit, though you wouldn't know it watching her run around with 2.5-year-old Starbuck. Now that Coz has figured out the stairs up to the bed, I once again have a cuddle puppy. And her favorite game is keep-away: she grabs the toy and runs around while we chase her saying "gimme that!" Sometimes I swear she's going to take off, she gets her tail windmilling so fast.



She and Bucky teach each other bad habits. And our backyard is a mess of holes from the combined efforts of both dogs. But I do so love this sweet pup of mine.