Monday, February 20, 2017

The mystery has been solved

It's been nearly ten years since Cosmo joined our family. Her previous family didn't know what kind of dog she was. Over the years, we have been asked many, many times and always answered with a shrug and a sheepish "we have no idea."

a brown dog with a colorful t-shirt rope

While I was on one of her many recovery walks after her surgery, one of our neighbors stopped me to ask what kind of dog she is. After delivering my typical response, I realized that I could change that. So I ordered a Canine DNA test.

There are a number of tests on the market and each have their supporters and detractors. After reading dozens of Amazon reviews, we went with the Wisdom Panel 3.0 kit. YMMV.

The kit arrived two days after I purchased it, but with one thing and another, I didn't end up using it for another six days. One of the comments I had read recommended that you allow your dog a drink, then keep it away from other animals, toys, food, etc., for a couple of hours before obtaining the sample in order to minimize the risk of contamination. I swabbed Cosmo's cheeks before I let her out of her pen in the morning.

The kit itself is really easy to use. The directions are clear and simple to follow - you just rub each swab between your dog's cheek and gums for 10-15 seconds and stick them in the holes in the box so they can dry upright for five minutes. This is a good time to go ahead and register your test online.  Once you've done that and the swabs are dry, you put them back in their sleeve (on which you've written your information), seal the box, and mail them out.

Then came the waiting. I tried to stay patient and keep my expectations low. They only detect breeds that are at least 12.5% of your dog's genetic makeup, so I was half expecting the report to come back saying she was such a mutt they couldn't tell me anything. I kept looking at the progress page once I received notice that her sample was at the lab. They tell you to give them 2-3 weeks to process your sample after they receive it. Two days ago I got the email letting me know my report was ready.

EXCITED! EXCITED!

Nothing in this report would change how I feel about my Cozzi girl, but maybe I would finally be able to say "Oh, she's a such and such mix" instead of "I dunno" when asked. Plus it's just neat information to have.

a listing of letters that represent part of Cosmo's genetic fingerprint

Turns out, Cosmo is a German Shorthaired Pointer-Miniature Schnauzer-Miniature Poodle mix. Huh...who knew?

Well, we sort of knew. After ordering the test, we looked up a bunch of dog pictures and were pretty sure she had some Schnauzer in there. But I never would have guessed the shorthaired pointer. To find out that makes up half of her mix was really surprising.

a pie chart representing Cosmo's breed mix

Once we started reading about the breed, however, and looking at the features and traits, it made complete sense. That is exactly Cosmo's body style, tail, and nose. She's a bit on the small side, but that can be explained by the smaller dogs on the other side, as can her fur.

The lab also runs a test to see if your dog has the MDR1 mutation that makes it sensitive to certain types of drugs. Happily, Cosmo does not have this mutation.

I really enjoyed reading about the various breeds and their histories while we were looking through Cosmo's report. Tell ya what: We live in amazing times.

images of German Shorthaired Pointers, Miniature Schnauzers, Miniature Poodles, and Cosmo