Saturday, August 1, 2015

August Shelter Cat of the Month

There was no question about this month's kitty. It's my Jovi girl, and you really, really need to come check her out.

a gray and white cat yawning

I went to visit her again yesterday while we were picking the kid up from Young Heroes camp and she was full of cuddles.

UPDATE 8/25:  Jovi's adoption fee has been sponsored. This means that someone loves her enough that they want YOU to be able to take her home without paying a penny. That's how special our girl is.

UPDATE 10/21: Jovi has been transferred to Wayside Waifs. Let's hope she finds her forever home during the Mega Match event this weekend.

UPDATE 12/17: JOVI WAS ADOPTED FROM WAYSIDE WAIFS YESTERDAY!!!! *happy dance* Such exciting news!

a gray and white cat looking over a person's shoulder

I know she looks grumpy there - but she's actually quite content. In fact, I think that's why she's still at the shelter after nearly six months. She has resting grumpy face, a cranky-sounding meow, and she doesn't solicit attention. 

When I open her kennel, often she's sitting there with her back to the door. I'll pet her and she'll respond with a rusty mrow. Then she turns around and climbs right on my shoulder. I held her for at least 20 minutes yesterday and she showed no signs of wanting down. In fact, I moved toward her kennel once and she hugged me around the neck and buried her face in my hair. 



So we have a cat who doesn't look or sound friendly, but who is incredibly cuddly. Oh, and she's FIV+, so that's another strike against her for those who wander into the shelter without researching first (which is a fine way to adopt a pet - I've done it more than once - but it does mean you probably aren't going to check out certain animals).

According to her bio, she prefers men, but I've never noticed her being more affectionate with my spouse than me, so it may just be that she's somewhat...particular. She also doesn't enjoy being picked up - she wants to be held, but she wants to be in control of where she sits.

a gray and white cat looking into the camera

It hurts to leave all of them at the shelter each week, but this girl is really breaking my heart. Please share, or come by Great Plains SPCA in Independence, Missouri, to check her out yourself if you're looking for a new fur friend.

Be Jovi's hero - adopt! or donate! or share!


***Mr. Key and Sofie are also still available for adoption***